Wednesday, August 13, 2008

DAYA Enews - March Article

This is the complete article that appeared in the DAYA Connector - the official enewsletter of the Diocese of Atlanta Young Adults.


Don't Call it a Retreat:
A Reflection on the Vocare Experience by Sarah Jordan
March Enewsletter

What does “vocare” mean? Sure, it’s Latin for “to call,” but what does it really mean? As a pilgrim at DOG/DOA Vocare #3, I discovered that Vocare is about discovering who I am meant to be through God’s eyes. I went to a weekend filled with uncertainty and found a loving community who accepted me- flaws and all- and helped guide me through my journey. I learned to rely on God for insecurities that I didn’t even know I had. I found love, acceptance, and clarity all through what- at the time- seemed like goofing off with a bunch of wackos.

I wasn’t expecting to find genuine friends who I would so quickly call “family.” My biggest struggle going into the weekend was a lack of community; I had recently been severely betrayed by those around me and felt weary of everyone. I know God had me attend this weekend to meet them and fill my heart with love and trust again. Even now after Vocare is over, I talk with my new friends daily and rely on them for strength in God’s word. I truly feel like I’ve been adopted into a new family and feel completely blessed to know such strong ties formed through the love of Christ.

As for my fellow pilgrims, many struggled with insecurities about their future. Which path should they go down? Can’t God give them a clear sign? What should they do in the meantime waiting for an answer? I am extremely blessed to know my calling, but others who struggled found peace through the weekend. Slowing down and praying about God’s will helped guide them to trust God into sharing His plan when the time is right.

This sounds intense- I know- but it wasn’t until I began reflecting upon my weekend once I returned home that I discovered these things. While I was there, I thought that I was having a fun time with a group of cool people who just happened to be sitting around having deep conversations. It’s hard to explain what Vocare is because it must be experienced for oneself. I do know, however, that Vocare will be a milestone in my continuing spiritual journey. Don’t call it a weekend. Don’t call it a retreat. Call it an experience. And it’s one I will treasure in my heart always.

No comments: