Monday, March 23, 2009

March 2009 Article

A Lenten Reflection
by Michael Asmussen

Well, it is that time of the year again. We are now halfway through the time when we give something up or take something on for the 40 days of Lent (well, really more than 40 days, as you are allowed to indulge on Sundays). Growing up I would typically give up something that I had so rarely that I really wouldn’t miss it for those 40 days (like Dairy Queen blizzards). In fact, I got to be pretty good at picking something so specific that I really didn’t have to change my lifestyle. Obviously it was easy for me, but now I feel as if I was really missing the point (although, as a little kid, I think missing the point now and then really isn’t that big of a deal).

In recent years I have taken to giving up candy and ice cream for Lent, which is difficult, because I am a HUGE fan of some of the Easter candy. (Especially Cadbury mini eggs-- in fact, I have been munching on a few while writing this). I figured that these things would be simple enough to give up, and really didn’t think they would be that hard. But the first time I decided to give up candy and ice cream for Lent I really struggled. I would often wrap up work doing groundwater sampling at a gas station, and an ice cream bar or milk shake really would’ve hit the spot. Somehow I managed to restrain myself, and in the process I felt as if, in a strange way, my faith had been strengthened.

Something that I have not tried myself is the idea of taking on something for Lent. As strange as it might seem, for those of us who feel like we have too much going on, or maybe for those that find it too hard to give something up, taking something on might be the better fit. It can be something like trying to exercise more, eat healthier, make an attempt to make a difference in somebody else’s life, or even something as simple as making the effort to take time out of each day to clear your head and re-focus.

If you haven’t started a Lenten discipline yet, it isn’t too late to start. We still have half of Lent left, so whether you decided to give something up or take on something, take the opportunity to step back and think about the promise of Easter that comes at the end.

No comments: